How You Can Be Green and Contribute to a Healthier Planet!
First of all, before we get started, we want to wish all of the mothers a Happy Mother’s Day! We hope you all have the day that you deserve!
Below we have listed some ideas to help you be environmentally aware.
When cooling your house keep the following in mind:
- A ceiling fan uses a lot less energy than air conditioners.
- When you have to use the air conditioner, remember to keep your thermostat at 80 to 82 degrees to save energy.
- Keep your ceiling fan on when you have the air conditioner on, it will improve you’re air conditioner’s efficiency.
- Be sure all doors and windows are closed when using the air, and curtains closed when the sun is coming through the windows, as the sun will heat up the room.
- Seal all air leaks in your rooms so the cold air won’t escape.
- There is great news about the Old Wife’s tale that it uses more energy to turn lights on and off than to leave them on. That is what it is, just an Old Wife’s tale, it is not true! If you are going to be out of the room for more than a minute you should turn them off.
- As most of you already know, use energy efficient light bulbs. They are great for saving energy and helping reduce energy usage.
Here are some tips for your garden and on your property:
- In the garden, or anywhere on your property, be sure to use native plants. Native animals depend on the plants and trees that they have evolved with for food and shelter. Local animals find little attraction in imported trees and plants.
- Native plants and trees will not only attract birds, butterflies, and monkeys but will also save the time and expense of daily watering. Growing indigenous plants and trees can save 50% of the water typically used to maintain outdoor plants.
- Put mulch around plants, it can cut the amount of water lost through evaporation by up to 70%. It also limits weed growth and can improve soil conditions.
- Growing plants and trees will not only lower greenhouse gas emissions and provide habitats for wildlife, but it will also lower home energy costs.
- Trees with high canopies will provide shade for your house, keeping your house cooler.
- Make sure your air conditioning unit is in the shade.
- Even small plants can help cool your home, through the evaporative process called transpiration.
- You can enjoy significant yearly savings in home cooling costs by landscaping wisely.
Remember that KSTR has a souvenir store where 100% of the proceeds go to save the rainforest. Please help us by shopping in our store and you will gain by helping to save the rainforest. (If you look for our ad in Quepolandia you can have a 10% discount so you will really win!) Our shop has some of the best prices in the area, so come on in and compare us!
We are located one mile from Quepos heading to the Manuel Antonio National Park on the right hand side, adjacent to Hotel Mono Azul. We are open from 7 AM until 10 PM daily! For more information, call 2777-2592.
*Thanks to True Green, 100 Everyday Ways You Can Contribute to a Healthier Planet by Kim McKay & Jenny Boonin Published by National Geographic Society 2006, for the information provided in this article.